Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bye Bye Oak... wont be missed.



I'm so happy with how it turned out!  Of course now I want to change the wall color.  Which I was planning to do anyway but now I really want to!  
Here's what I did...

First off there was an ugly wing decal on the front.  I took that off but it left splintered wood and little nails that wouldnt come out.  I used a nail punch to push the nails under the surface of the fireplace and then I filled the holes with wood filler.  Then I sanded it all down to make it smooth and level.  

That was the only area I sanded though.  The rest of it I left be, I didn't sand or use a deglosser I just got a good primer and primed the whole fireplace.

I then left it dry for a few hours and put on the first coat of paint.

I then let it dry all night.  The next morning it was on to the second coat of paint.  After that it looked pretty good but I felt like I could see a few areas that might need a little more coverage.  So I waited the recommended 4 hours and put on a third coat.

And again, here it how it turned out...

We also painted some of our baseboards.  The builders had an icky flat paint on there and lots of nail holes that were never even filled.  So we filled the holes and painted the baseboards with a nice bright white semi-gloss paint.

Hard to capture the before and after but here was my attempt...

 And just for fun here is an "in the midst of the chaos" shot...

No comments:

Post a Comment